Purpose: To describe the usability and strength of Linux based gadgets by examples.
Disclaimer: This article is totally based on my personal experience and interest. Every claim is based on my own data which may or may not be suitable for other cases.
More Mobile phone OSes are listed here in wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Mobile_phone_operating_systems
- PC like internet using FireFox.
- Playing 90s console games using emulators. I mostly play Nintendo's NES, SNES, GBA games.
- Listening to musics of 90s games.
- Of-course native android games.
- Developing games and app for Android.
- HTML5 development and testing.
- Hardware related things like connecting a MIDI keyboard to android.
Instead of writing about very common things much i will focus on doing some rare things which only professionals or few people do.
- Nesoid - NES games. Freeware but doesn't support gamepad.
- DroidEmu - plays nes, snes, gba, GameBoy Color, Sega Genesis (bin), Sega MegaDrive (SMD), sega game gear (gg), It also supports USB GamePads. Lite version is freeware but has limitation of loading save states. I have cracked this emulator and using all the features for FREE. Don't ask me for the cracked version. I will never share that one. I am a developer and i know how hard it is to earn money in android by selling a paid version!!!,
- PCE.EMU free - one of my favorite game console PC ENGINE / TurboGrafx. Best emulator and supports most of needed things like gamepad, save states.
- RetroArch - it is a collection of emulators in one. Supports NES, SNES, GBA, GB, GBC, PS1, Nintendo DS (NDS), Sega genesis, SMD, Arcade ROMS i.e MAME/MESS, Nintendo 64. The best emulator out in the market!!!. But configuration will irritate you. But have patience and configure it.
- There are many emulators - N64oid, Gameboid, Tiger emulators, Mupen64, My Boy!, Genplusoid, ePSXe, FPSe etc. Do not ignore any of these especially the bold marked. Download and give them a try.
- NSF - NES's music format
- SPC - SNES music
- VGM - Sega
- GSF - GBA
- PSF, USF, miniSF - Playstation 1 & 2
- more information can be found in zophar domain.
You can download all SPC musics from here - www.snesmusic.org
- Modo - Best console music player on android
- DeaDBeaf Android - as good as modo. When i used it 3 months ago it was sucking my battery fast, but after disabling equalizer it got normal. You should recheck it if it happens.
- There are 2-3 more apps but i wasn't comfortable with their GUI.
- Download terminal app.
- Start terminal app and type - dmesg | tail
- Jelly Bean and above needs root for above to work. Or try this using ADB tool provided by google. Start ADB, run shell dmesg | tail
- Look at the message. Run above command just after you plug Or unplug your hardware. Using the message you can proceed what needs to be done if there are some issues with hardware,
- You can do WEB work in android using localhost / webserver like PAW server etc.
- Do programming for android inside android using IDEs like AIDE. Scripting environment for android allows python, bash, perl etc.